Amanda-Users

Re: Testing Tape Drive

2003-12-02 12:47:11
Subject: Re: Testing Tape Drive
From: Josiah Ritchie <jritchie AT bible DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 12:35:06 -0500
Jon LaBadie scripted ::

>Unless that is a changer you pretty much have it.  Write some
>write a tar archive to the tape and be sure you can recover it.
>Then write multiple archives to the tape using the "no rewind"
>version of the tape device.  Use mt to see if you can position
>at a specific archive and recover just the one.
>
>You might want to use dd with a blocksize of 32K to be sure
>the default amanda block size works ok.  Similarly you might
>want to explore the mt commands to set compression on/off,
>block size, check status, set defaults, ...
>
>If it is a changer, also explore the mtx command.

It isn't a changer so I can skip the mtx curve. :-) I'll probably need to get
into that later though cause I'll eventually need one.

I can't play around on this server too much for fear of messing things up. Can I
pass some commands by you guys for sanity checking?

mt -f /dev/st0 status # works fine (If I know what I'm reading)
mt -f /dev/st0 retension # works
mt -f /dev/st0 erase # works I need to remember a & at the end next time, ssh
won't background it for some odd reason. (^z bg)

tar -cf /dev/st0 /etc #? records /etc to tape in /dev/st0

JSR/