Amanda-Users

Testing Tape Drive

2003-12-02 09:32:22
Subject: Testing Tape Drive
From: Josiah Ritchie <jritchie AT bible DOT edu>
To: "amanda-users AT amanda DOT org" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:34:23 -0500
I'd like to run an new tape drive through its paces to make sure it is working
full before I start trying to learn AMANDA on it. What are some commands that i
can use to write, read and generally get familiar with it and be sure it is
working as desired? It is a Compaq SDT-9000 drive on Gentoo Linux (which
requires devfs) and so it probably is in a non-standard area.

I've been reading around and have taken a lot in, but seem to be having trouble
organizing the information in my head. If someone would be willing to just punch
out some commands to help my brain stitch together what it's picked up I'd
greatly appreciate it. I know mt and tar should be used.

Thanks,
JSR/

--
System Administrator
Washington Bible College/Capital Bible Seminary