Amanda-Users

Re: slow amanda performance on ONE system.

2003-11-04 12:57:09
Subject: Re: slow amanda performance on ONE system.
From: Kirk Strauser <kirk AT strauser DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:42:00 -0600
At 2003-11-04T13:28:37Z, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> writes:

> You have over 5 gigabytes of mail? I find that hard to believe, not
> even a major spammer would have that much.

Erm, I have about 2.5 GB of mail in my personal spool.  How?  By not
deleting personal mail - ever.  I have pretty strict filters on mailing
lists (14 days for slower lists, 7 days for ones with higher traffic), but I
have every email I've ever sent or received since switching to a Unix system
(after my Amiga's drive crashed and Diavolo Pro wouldn't recognize the
backup tapes).

I use Cyrus IMAP which deals well with huge folders.  I have a huge amount
of available storage.  None of my mail clients choke on archive directories
with 10,000 emails.  Given all that, I can't think of a good reason to
delete anything.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.