Amanda-Users

Re: Having trouble with chg-scsi

2003-10-31 18:46:22
Subject: Re: Having trouble with chg-scsi
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:44:40 -0500
On Friday 31 October 2003 13:55, pll+amanda AT permabit DOT com wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm having trouble coming up with a chg-scsi config file.  I'm
> hoping someone can tell me what I'm missing.
>
>Hardware config is an Overland Storage PowerLoader with a 17 slot
>library and a single Ultrium LTO2 drive connected to a Debian Linux
>system.  Amanda 2.4.2p2 is installed via Debian package.  The tape
>drive is on SCSI ID 4 and the Library on SCSI ID 6.
>
>In amanda.conf I have:
>
>   tpchanger "chg-scsi"
>   changerfile "/etc/amanda/test/overland.cfg"
>   tapedev "0"
>
>In overland.cfg I have:
>
>   dev 0
>   drivenum 1
>   scsitapedev /dev/st0
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You cannot use the auto-rewinding device with amanda, please use
/dev/nst0 instead.

>   tapeident 4
>   changerident 6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what are these? Linux doesn't assign devices according to the bus
address, but in the order discovered during bootup.  The tape drive
will be, or should be, coverd by the /dev/nst0 spec, then the changer
is more than likely to be /dev/sg1 if you also have a cdr/w drive.
This is a case of a good read of /var/log/dmesg giving you all of this
info.

>   startuse 0
>   enduse   16
>   cleancart 0
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Most folks, if they use one, put it in the last slot, in any event do
NOT assign it to a slot thats included in startuse to enduse.

>   eject > 1
>   statfile /etc/amanda/test/overland.stat
>   cleanfile /etc/amanda/test/overland.clean
>   usagecount /etc/amanda/test/overland.usage
>   tapestatus /var/log/amanda/tapestatus
>   labelfile /etc/amanda/test/overland.label
>
>Yet this doesn't seem to work.  Can anyone help me out?
>
>Thanks in advance!

Fix up what I said above, then as the manpages suggest, then repeat:

#>su amanda -c "amcheck YourConfigName" (looks like test?)

fixing the errors, and ignoring the warnings until you don't have any
errors left.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: