Amanda-Users

Re: samba excludes and includes

2003-10-31 16:21:17
Subject: Re: samba excludes and includes
From: Archie Warnock <warnock AT awcubed DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:18:07 -0500
Jon LaBadie wrote:
Though I've not looked at the code, it seems like enabling
the include feature would require nearly the same changes
that went into adding exclude.  Is there any reason,
aside for lack of interest in the past, that the include
feature was not added?

I wouldn't know about the implementation history, but my own use would actually indicate that an include capability would be more useful. When I do backups, I know what directories need to be copied - they're the ones that have irreplaceable data in them, and I know which ones they are. Seems to me that's an easier call than going through all of the directories on a volume and ruling out the ones that don't need to be backed up - and even in that case, being able to handle only a single exclude pattern seems counter-intuitive. Obviously, others will have different needs, but it's hard to imagine why both shouldn't be available.

I'm pursuing the idea of special Samba backup shares as a hack to get around the lack of includes, but I'd really prefer to put my backup-specific details in my backup program configuration...

--
Archie

-- Archie Warnock                       Internet: warnock AT awcubed DOT com
-- A/WWW Enterprises                    http://www.awcubed.com
--       As a matter of fact, I _do_ speak for my employer.