Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda overwrites level 0 dumps?

2003-10-27 08:18:48
Subject: Re: Amanda overwrites level 0 dumps?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Matthias Andree <ma AT dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund DOT de>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 08:16:05 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 at 1:00am, Matthias Andree wrote

> 3. runspercycle. The exact technical function is unclear, I presume it's
>    needed to map dumpcycle to a tape count.

I think the reason for runspercycle (and why it's necessary) is quite
obvious.  Amanda needs to know how much tape it has (total, in a
dumpcycle) with which to make all the required backups.  The *only* way to
know that is to know how many times it will be run in a cycle
(runspercycle) and multiply that by the tape length.

> 4. Amanda defaults runspercycle to dumpcycle, assuming daily backups are
>    made, rather than looking at the tapeinfo. Why that?

By tapeinfo, do you mean tapecycle?  If so, then I see part of the problem
-- you're putting too much importance on tapecycle.  Tapecycle can mean
any number of things.  On my archival setup (run once every 6 weeks, level
0s of everything), tapecycle is set to an absurdly high number (10000).
That way amanda always wants a new tape.  Even on my daily setup, it's set
to 12*runspercycle, so that I have a long daily history.  In short, amanda
can make no conclusions about anything based on tapecycle.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering