Amanda-Users

Re: More than one tape per run

2003-10-23 12:13:20
Subject: Re: More than one tape per run
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:06:05 -0400
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 05:37:02PM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:

> >>I'm still not sure I understand. If I have
> >>
> >>runspercycle 2
> >>
> >>and
> >>
> >>runtapes 2
> >>
> >>will amanda try to distribute the full dumps across 4 tapes, or just 2?
> >>
> >>When I think about it, the first answer makes most sense, as the
> >>parameter otherwise ought to have been called "tapespercycle".
> >>

> >"Sense" is a funny thing.
> >
> >Amanda will "try" to fit each run on a single tape.  But will use a
> >second tape during that run if necessary.
> >
> Ah, I see. So it won't actually multiply tape size by runtapes when
> trying to figure out how much it can write... I'm not sure the
> functionaltiy is of much use to me then, but perhaps I could cheat and
> pretend the tapes are "runtapes" times larger than they really are?

Won't buy you anything.  Amanda will reach the actual end of the tape
and not be able to go on to a second tape because runtapes is 1.

> > Thus the answer is "it depends".
> >It will try to use 2 tapes, but may use 3 or 4.
> >
> >BTW I find it strange that an "archival" configuration would be setup with
> >a dumpcycle > 0 (or 1?) and with runspercycle > 1.
> >
> >When I want an archive dump I want it to be the state of the system now.
> >Not the current state of half the DLE's and incrementals from the last
> >'archive' of the other half.  Maybe that is just me ;)
> >

> The archival config disables incrementals, obsiously. And *of course* I
> have to split the backup across several tapes; isn't the data in any
> real setup larger than what fits on a tape?

Total data, yes.  Data per DLE, no.  Because amanda can not deal with
individual DLE's larger than a single tape capacity.  But it will happily
put 10 DLE's on the first tape, 20 on the second and 4 on the third if
that is what fits, is needed, and runtapes is >= 3.

> But actually, one of the reasons why I'm asking about runtapes > 1 is
> that I've considered setting up so that everything is dumped in one run...

Assuming that each individual DLE, when given a level 0, fits on a single
tape, then set dumpcycle = 0, runspercycle = 1, and runtapes = 1000.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)