Amanda-Users

Re: More than one tape per run

2003-10-23 11:42:30
Subject: Re: More than one tape per run
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:37:02 +0200

runspercycle does not need to be changed.  The "runtapes" means that
for each run up to that number of tapes may be used (note: not "must").
You have to increase your tapecycle probably to cover the same dumpcycle(s), because you'll burn twice as much tapes for each run.
(well, "burn", hopefully not litteraly).
I'm still not sure I understand. If I have

runspercycle 2

and

runtapes 2

will amanda try to distribute the full dumps across 4 tapes, or just 2?

When I think about it, the first answer makes most sense, as the parameter otherwise ought to have been called "tapespercycle".

"Sense" is a funny thing.

Amanda will "try" to fit each run on a single tape.  But will use a
second tape during that run if necessary.

Ah, I see. So it won't actually multiply tape size by runtapes when trying to figure out how much it can write... I'm not sure the functionaltiy is of much use to me then, but perhaps I could cheat and pretend the tapes are "runtapes" times larger than they really are?

 Thus the answer is "it depends".
It will try to use 2 tapes, but may use 3 or 4.

BTW I find it strange that an "archival" configuration would be setup with
a dumpcycle > 0 (or 1?) and with runspercycle > 1.

When I want an archive dump I want it to be the state of the system now.
Not the current state of half the DLE's and incrementals from the last
'archive' of the other half.  Maybe that is just me ;)
The archival config disables incrementals, obsiously. And *of course* I have to split the backup across several tapes; isn't the data in any real setup larger than what fits on a tape?

But actually, one of the reasons why I'm asking about runtapes > 1 is that I've considered setting up so that everything is dumped in one run...

- Toralf