Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover: Why does it use disklist and log files

2003-10-22 14:31:23
Subject: Re: amrecover: Why does it use disklist and log files
From: Bao Ho <bao AT gibbons DOT com>
To: Jean-Louis Martineau <martinea AT iro.umontreal DOT ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:26:00 -0700
Hello Jean-

Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:

Hi Toralf,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:09:56AM +0200, Toralf Lund wrote:
As far as I can't tell, amrecover won't work unless

 1. Log file from the backup you are trying to recover is still present

The log are needed to find which dump are on which tape and where on that tape.

We have the need to keep both weekly full and daily incrementals on disk (tapeless) so that we won't have to go to slow media. We then copy full backups (data and inex) to magnetic tapes for a rotation of 8 tapes using tar. The disk won't hold up to 8 full backups, so it is set up with only one "tape". After full backup,
data and index are copied immediately to tape.

This way, we can go back one week, up to any day, using data on disk; and go back every week before that, using data on tapes. We do not care much about previous week's incrementals.

Recover using tapes is done, first with untarring it from tape onto disk and replacing necessary index (with data on disk renamed first for preservation, of course), then running amrecover.

My questions is: Must I have log files tarred to tape along with data and index in order to run amrecover?

I have never needed to go back more than one week from tape.

Thanks in advance.