Amanda-Users

Re: How do I....?

2003-10-01 01:19:00
Subject: Re: How do I....?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:38:56 -0400
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 07:11:28PM -0600, Travis Bell wrote:
> Hello again, I am not completely understanding how to do something
> here.
>
> I want to make a backup of my drive and then push it across our network
> to a Windows share. Is this possible? If so, what do I need to do in
> order to do it?
>
> I am really tired and maybe I am just not thinking straight.

Versions of amanda newer than about 18 months have the capability to
backup to disk files rather than tape files.  This is known as the
"file:driver" and is described on the amanda man page if your version
supports it.

Given that, if you can mount your windows share to the backup host,
then you could point amanda to backup to a directory on the network
rather than the local host.

Otherwise there is not builtin facility to say backup to here but
then move it to there.  You could roll your own scripts to do that
however and kick them off after amanda finishes.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)