Amanda-Users

Re: amadmin problem

2003-10-01 01:19:00
Subject: Re: amadmin problem
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:44:04 -0400
On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 11:13:48AM +1000, Barry Haycock wrote:
> I am using 2.4.4 on a solaris machine.
>
> My setup is as follows:
> I have 2 setups one monthly and one daily
> The monthly only writes to new tapes.
> And is working fine.
>
> The daily only overwrites the tapes In the system
> At this point in time amdump is failing because it is looking for a new
> tape
>
> "Amadmin daily tape" reports this as well as the log files although
> previously this was not the case.
>
> my configs though say to only overwrite all daily tapes.
> $HOME/etc/daily/tapelist reports that all the daily tapes marked as
> "reuse"
> except for one that I have marked as "no-reuse"

ahh, there's the rub :)

you probably have tapecycle set to "N" but because of the "no-reuse"
you only really have "N-1" tapes in rotation.  But you told amanda
with the tapecycle setting not to overwrite ANY tape until "N" tapes
were used.  Thus you need to add a new tape into the rotation or reduce
the value of tapecycle.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)