Amanda-Users

Re: Multiple backups on one tape.

2003-08-27 14:24:23
Subject: Re: Multiple backups on one tape.
From: David Barcelo <dbarcelo AT datajunction DOT com>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:38:25 -0500
Thanks for the reply.   We are using very expensive tapes and the thing I had in mind was recycling my tapes every 4 weeks.  Thus I would need 2 tapes per week.  1 for incrementals (Mon-Thurs) and 1 for full backups (Fri).  A grand total of 8 tapes plus one for good measure.  We are spending about 40 ducets a tape.  Very pricey.  I agree that it isn't the most sound configuration but if I can make it work I am willing to try.

If I use amflush will I still be able to index incrementaly backuped files on the tape.  In other words, off the top of your head (or anyone elses) what amanda utilities will become unusable and/or ineffective do to this unusual configuration?

TIA
Dave

Brian Cuttler wrote:
    Humm, that is a question.

If you had enough spool area AND didn't mind leaving all of your backups
on disk (risky but no worse than using a tape drive as the output device)
you _could_ fail to mount the tape and run amflush once/week.

    Couldn't you ?

Still, I don't see having a single output tape, you'd have little or
no fallback if something happened, spool disk failure, tape failure,
drive problems...

Dave - not a config I'd recommend.

hello all,
  I have read the Amanda site and seen the faqo-o-matic about amanda not
being able to have multiple backups on one tape.  Even though I have
read this I am still curious.  Is is it still possible to just use one
tape during a 1 week dumpcycle and 5 runspercycle policy?  Can I get
Amanda to append backups?

Dave