Amanda-Users

Re: holdingdisk throughput problem: Linux ide-dma

2003-08-20 12:50:44
Subject: Re: holdingdisk throughput problem: Linux ide-dma
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:44:55 -0400
All,
I dug some more, and pulled the box out of the rack to hook up a VGA
card (old box w/o built-in VGA or serial-redirection), and discovered
that PCI bus-mastering was disabled for the IDE controller.  I enabled
that, as I think it's a requirement for DMA operation.

Second, Frank Smith suggested recompiling the kernel with specific
support for the IDE controller.  I chose not to do that, but it did make
me realize that I did not have the PIIX4 driver loaded (piix.o).  I'm
not sure how I was able to use the disk without that, but once I loaded
that module, DMA was enabled auto-magically.  I am now able to pull 28
MB/s from this disk in UDMA(33) mode.  Thanks for prodding my gray
matter, Frank!

Tomorrow morning's run should be the final test!

Eric