Amanda-Users

Re: holdingdisk throughput problem: Linux ide-dma

2003-08-20 11:55:02
Subject: Re: holdingdisk throughput problem: Linux ide-dma
From: Eric Sproul <esproul AT ntelos DOT net>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:51:58 -0400
On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 11:40, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> I have two SCSI disks and a chunk of each used for holding disk.
> I also have a larger IDE disk and used to use a chunk of that for
> holding disk too.  But it proved too low performing so I dropped it
> except for storage of static data.

That's the thing though... I know from testing the same drive in another
system that it is perfectly capable of sustaining the throughput my tape
drive needs.  I use a Compaq SDLT-320 drive that maxes out at 16 MB/s.
My SCSI disk will do 30 MB/s and this drive should be capable of 28
MB/s.

I'll keep digging for info.  At the very least I'm learning a lot about
Linux's IDE subsystem.  ;)

Thanks,
Eric