Amanda-Users

AMANDA and Irix

2003-08-15 09:26:47
Subject: AMANDA and Irix
From: Shashi Kanbur <shashi AT fcrao1.astro.umass DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:22:37 -0400 (EDT)
I have two questions which I hope some can help me with:

 My AMANDA server is running on a Debian linux machine and this can
backup my Debian linux AMANDA clients fine. I have a couple of
Irix 6.5 clients. The AMANDA client compiles ok.
If I put in the disklist file the backup to use gnutar,
amcheck says it cant find the program GNUTAR despite the fact that
gnu tar is in /sbin, /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/bin  and so on.
If I ask it to use dump rather than tar, amcheck says things are ok
and the backup seems to work, but when i use amrecover to get a file back,
I get

EOF, check amidxtaped.<timestamp>.debug file on cepheid.
amrecover: short block 0 bytes
UNKNOWN file
amrecover: Can't read file header
extract_list - child returned non-zero status: 1

though an ls in amrecover does show the files.
The amindexd log says

amindexd: time 26.620: < 201- 2003-08-08 0 AstroTapes0      27
/shashi/typescript
amindexd: time 26.620: < 201- 2003-08-08 0 AstroTapes0      27
/shashi/webface
amindexd: time 26.620: < 200  Opaque list of /shashi

Does anyone know why it cant find the gnutar program and then why the
amrecover program doesnt work?

The second question is when I run amcheck on my linux clients, everything
seems ok. But for some machines, when the dump starts I see

planner: time 1800.869: error result for host nova disk /data: Estimate
timeout from nova
planner: time 1800.869: error result for host nova disk /home: Estimate
timeout from nova
  0: nova       /data
  1: nova       /home
planner: FAILED nova /data 20030812 0 [Estimate timeout from nova]
planner: FAILED nova /home 20030812 0 [Estimate timeout from nova]

and no backups are made of that machine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Shashi Kanbur                                  shashi AT fcrao1.astro.umass DOT
edu
Five College Astronomy Department,
University of Massachusetts,
Amherst,
MA 01003
USA
(413) 577 0470                                 (413) 545 4223 (Fax)