Amanda-Users

Re: Files left on holding disk after successful dumps

2003-08-14 03:24:32
Subject: Re: Files left on holding disk after successful dumps
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:21:26 +0200
On Wednesday 13 August 2003 02:55, Toralf Lund wrote:
>I suddenly realised that I have a lot of dump directories on my
> holding disk, even though dumps have generally been successful. The
> below "amflush" output should illustrate this.
>

>-sh-2.05b$ /usr/sbin/amflush ks
>Scanning /dumps/amanda/hd...

And they're all zero length files??

I'd assume that /dumps itself is also owned by amanda:disk?
In which case I've NDI Toralf.  Delete them and see if they come back.

Is there anything odd in this mornings report for the dle's mentioned?
Ahem... I guess I didn't check "FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY" well enough. The thing is, I expect it to contain *some* entries because we also try to back up laptops etc. that aren't always on the net (these will be backed up whenever they are connected overnight, which is good enough.) Sorry.

Anyhow, I actually get data timeout for some, if not all, of the DLEs, i.e. I have

fileserv   /var/www lev 0 FAILED [data timeout]

That might explain a great deal, I suppose. I don't understand why I get the timeouts, though. Note in particular that other disks on the same host are backed up successfully during the same run. Also, shouldn't the holding disk be cleaned up when dumps fail like this?

And all this started happening quite suddenly (or so it seems) while I was on holiday, but I'm somehow not surprised by that... I moved the amanda server (and tape drives) from one host to another some time before that, but I *think* everything worked correctly after that (I'm fairly sure that e.g. fileserv:/var/www has been backed up a number of times after the move.)

- Toralf