Amanda-Users

dumpcycle, runspercycle questions

2003-08-14 02:43:11
Subject: dumpcycle, runspercycle questions
From: Charles Sprickman <spork AT fasttrackmonkey DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 02:34:14 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

Hopefully this is a simple question, as I'm not trying to force amanda to
do anything unnatural...

I've been going through the docs and the manpage, and I'm not really
getting the "big picture".  I've got amanda running, and everything seems
fine (even have the firewall issues worked out), but I'm still very
confused as to how amanda decides how often to do a level 0 and how many
incrementals it will do before doing another level 0.

For example, right now amanda runs every other day.  So I've got the
following:

dumpcycle 30
runspercycle 15
tapepercycle 24 (this is not a magic number, this is just how many AIT
                 tapes I can spare)

So on the first day of that cycle, do I get a full level 0 of all hosts?
How often in that cycle will I get a level 0?  Considering I've got more
tapes than runspercycle, what happens when my dumpcycle "starts over"?
When the tape cycle is done (ie: when I reach Daily00 again), what am I
then losing?

I suppose I'm really lost as far as just what I now have on tape, and
especially how far in time I can go back with this current config.

I apologize for asking what must be a common question, but I'm having a
hard time pulling up what I want from the archives...

Thanks,

Charles