Amanda-Users

Re: Multiple parallel smbclients backups

2003-08-13 11:20:15
Subject: Re: Multiple parallel smbclients backups
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:15:51 -0400
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 02:52:40PM +0200, C.Scheeder wrote:
> Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Though I'm still working on the AIX client problem, I've also set up my
> >120 windows clients and began some tests (here, we're on holidays,
> >except for the BOFHs like me).
> >
> >I've added all the needed config in the disklist and amandapass files
> >and it's working.
> >
> >But I'm surprised to see that this backups aren't made in parallel :
> >Though I've specified inparalell = 4, the samba backups are made in a
> >queue.
> >I imagine this comes from the fact that in disklist, every samba-related
> >line begins with the same hostname (that is the hostname of the backup
> >server).
> >
> >Aren't there a way to paralellized those samba backups ?
> >
> Hi,
> the spindel numer option for Disklist is your friend in this case.
> it tells amanda these are all different disks and can therefor be
> backuped in parallel
> hristoph

I thought the spindle number was used for the opposite purpose.
I.e. parallel backup was allowed unless restricted by spindle #.

   spindle
      Default:  -1.  A number used to balance backup load  on a
      host.   Amanda  will not run multiple backups at the same
      time on  the  same  spindle,  unless  the  spindle number
      is -1, which means there is no spindle restriction.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)