Amanda-Users

Tape drive problems

2003-08-13 05:31:28
Subject: Tape drive problems
From: Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt AT acu.ac DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:29:49 +0100
Hi,

I've had a working Amanda setup that has ticked over quite happily for
some time, until recently the tape drive decided to die on me. It's
happy to read, but the write head appears to have been damaged...

The drive in question was a Quantum DLT7000, and has been replaced by
our service company with a identical looking, but Compaq badged drive.
Yesterday, after swapping the drive over, amcheck worked fine (read the
tape label OK), but the backup failed:-

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [no tape online].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.

I also got these messages on the console:-

st0: Block limits 2 - 16777214 bytes.
st0: Error 2603007f (sugg. bt 0x20, driver bt 0x6, host bt 0x3).

System setup is Amanda 2.4.2p2 on Debian Woody, kernel 2.4.20-xfs.

Has anyone seen this set of errors before? The st0 error message isn't
particularly clear, and I'd like to know whether the new tape drive is
incompatible, or whether I need some driver tuning options. Apart from a
Compaq label, the drive appears virtually identical, even down to the
layout of the logic board.

Mike.