Amanda-Users

Strange behaviour of amcheck

2003-08-13 05:29:41
Subject: Strange behaviour of amcheck
From: Simon Frettloeh <sifr AT aifb.uni-karlsruhe DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:25:25 +0200 (CEST)
Hi!

(Amanda 2.4.2p2) I've experienced a strange behaviour of amcheck: It
complains "permission denied" on a directory on the client, that should be
backed up.  It's just the same directory mentioned in the disklist (with
option "tar-fast-high"). Strange thing is, that amdump (the normal backup
routine) doesn't seem to have any problems, backing this directory up.

To me, it seems, that amcheck does something on the client without
root-permissions (and get's back a permission denied error) and later on
amdump accesses this directory with root-rights and can straightly go on.
Is there a part of code in amcheck/on the client, which tries to access
this directory before having superuser rights?

If we chmod 711 this directory, amcheck doesn't complain any more. What's
going wrong?

Bye,
Simon Frettloeh