Amanda-Users

Re: Skipped backups

2003-08-12 16:53:10
Subject: Re: Skipped backups
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:07:09 -0400
On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 08:46:28AM -0500, Brendon Colby wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Last weekend, the data center operators did not put in Saturday and Sunday's
> tapes. Amanda still did the backup to the local disk of course. On Monday,
> the next tape was put in, and the backups continued on without complaint. I
> still have these two backups on disk though, and I'm not sure what to do with
> them. Do I flush them to the next tape and have them skip the rotation ahead
> one tape (a PITA)? What other options do I have in a situation like this?

What would be the PITA.  Tuesday's tape would not be available for Tuesday?
If that is the problem, this is the type of labeling that is so often
cautioned against.

Anyway, real solutions ...

Leave them in the holding disk?  Recoveries still work.  But of course
you have a smaller holding disk available -- still have enough?  Then
when their normal time comes around rm them and maybe their index files.

Alternatively, if one day's worth of runtapes (maybe 1 in your case)
will hold 3 days of backups, set autoflush to true in your amanda.conf.
I forget when it came in, but it was not available in 2.4.2.  This will
cause any backups on the holding disk to be taped along with the current
day's amdump.  Ironically this exact thing is happening to me as I type.
I forgot to change the magazine in my changer to the next one and collected
two dumps on the holding disk.  I have runtapes set to 2 to handle just
such situations.  But it is no PITA, the tapes, and magazines, are just
used in rotation without regard to specific tapes for specific days.

jon
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)