Amanda-Users

Re: Skipped backups

2003-08-12 13:04:22
Subject: Re: Skipped backups
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: bren AT midco DOT net, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:58:37 -0500
--On Friday, July 18, 2003 08:46:28 -0500 Brendon Colby <bren AT midco DOT net>
wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Last weekend, the data center operators did not put in Saturday and Sunday's
> tapes. Amanda still did the backup to the local disk of course. On Monday,
> the next tape was put in, and the backups continued on without complaint. I
> still have these two backups on disk though, and I'm not sure what to do with
> them. Do I flush them to the next tape and have them skip the rotation ahead
> one tape (a PITA)? What other options do I have in a situation like this?

Run a later version of Amanda that supports autoflush.

Run amflush. This should cause any problems unless you've named
your tapes Monday, Tuseday, etc.  If you just have numbered tapes
it really shouldn't matter wheter you're using Daily35 or Daily37,
for example, just feed the tapes Amanda asks for.

If you seldom do restores and have the holding disk space (and trust
the disk they're on, like a RAID volume perhaps) just leave them
where they are until those tapes are due to be overwritten anyway,
and then delete the fils off of holding disk.

Frank