Amanda-Users

Re: Disaster recovery.

2003-08-08 14:46:14
Subject: Re: Disaster recovery.
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT linux DOT ie>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 19:44:21 +0100
On Friday 08 August 2003 19:16, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >If the amanda index (and tape in my case) server is lost and all I
> > have left is the tapes. How do I rebuild new index files for my
> > tapes so that I can restore? I can't just restore the last set of
> > index files from the most recent backup because they would reflect
> > the state of the tapes from one day earlier (wouldn't they?).
> >
> >I can't find a tool that I can feed the collection of tapes so that
> > it will rebuild the index files. Is there such a thing.
>
> Not that I'm aware of, however other amanda experts may well point you
> to the correct answer.

This has been mentioned before and what I, and a number of others do, is keep
a copy of the indices, config file etc. on a different disk / server /
building / planet - up to you how far you choose to go. If you use a
commercial offsite service, or even a homebrew offsite service, you could
also put all that data on a CD-R (or CD-RW) and put it with the tapes.

--
Niall