Amanda-Users

Re: A last question (here) on chg-MTX-ZD

2003-08-08 12:55:53
Subject: Re: A last question (here) on chg-MTX-ZD
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:53:01 -0400
On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:45:00AM -0500, Bruntel, Mitchell L wrote:
>    mtx -F <changerdev> load tape 44 into drive 2
> Very Close Jon:
>
>  mtx [ -f <loader-dev> ] [invert] load <storage-element-number> [<drive#>]
> (so for me:  mtx -f  /dev/changer load 44 2)
> (and yes, after finally getting all that SCSI junk done, it's /dev/changer
> which points to
>  /dev/scsi/changer/c1t0d0
>
> So you (too) think that driveslot IS required to point to correct drive.
>
> Now, which tapedev do I point to in amanda.conf... This gets more confusing...

What is so confusing.  You have 4 devices, 3 tape drives /dev/rmt/{0,1,2}
and one changer /dev/changer.

changerdev is ... duh ... /dev/changer

tapedev is one of the others, whichever of the 3 drives you want to use
for this amanda configuration.  One amanda config can only use one one
tape drive.  And set driveslot to the same number, 0,1,2 as your tape device.

BTW the driveslot and the tapedevice number don't have to match, they just
happen to nicely match in your installation.  If for example you had two
other tape drives installed, say a DAT tape and a reel to reel, they "might"
be installed as /dev/rmt/0 and 1.  Then your library drives would be 2,3,4
but their driveslots would still be 0,1,2 (i.e. within that library).