Amanda-Users

upgrading a tape drive

2003-08-04 10:22:50
Subject: upgrading a tape drive
From: "Jeremy L. Mordkoff" <jlm AT TataraSystems DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:18:54 -0400

I am about to upgrade my tape drive from DLT to SDLT on a dell poweredge 2600 running redhat 7.3. Besides changing my tapetype definition, is there anything else I should do?

I am running

build: VERSION="Amanda-2.4.3"

       BUILT_DATE="Fri Apr 4 10:37:17 EST 2003"

       BUILT_MACH="Linux lux1 2.4.18-18.7.xsmp #1 SMP Wed Nov 13 19:01:42 EST 2002 i686 unknown"

       CC="gcc"

       CONFIGURE_COMMAND="'./configure' '--with-user=amanda' '--with-group=disk'"

Should I upgrade Amanda first? I remember some traffic regarding tapetype not analyzing SDLT drives correctly…was that ever resolved?

I am also considering making a different machine my backup host. Is there a way to move my backup history from the old machine to the new machine so that the backup rotation can just continue? One problem with this plan is that I am very restricted on kernel revs on the possible new Amanda tape host (it is also a clearcase server). Am I better off having the flexibility to upgrade my kernel? Can anyone recommend a good kernel for redhat 7.3 (or should I go to 8.0??).

ADV thanks ANCE for any input….

JLM

Jeremy Mordkoff

Tatara Systems

978-206-0808 (direct)

978-206-0888 (fax)

injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere -- Dr. Martin Luther King