Amanda-Users

amdump/amcheck timeouts

2003-08-01 11:30:24
Subject: amdump/amcheck timeouts
From: "Martin" <ammail AT sebastian DOT nl>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:27:30 +0200
Hi,

I have only started using Amanda a couple of days ago to backup some clients
in our local network. Everything seemed to be working fine. However,
occasionally (about 50% of the times) amcheck times out ("selfcheck request
timed out. Host down?"). When I check /var/log/messages on the client, there
are a lot of "amandad[31356]: error receiving message: timeout" messages.
Amanda debug files show the client timing out on waiting for an ACK from the
server. It seems that amcheck is more likely to time out than amdump; amdump
only times out about 25% of the times.
Something else that I think is a bit strange, when I run amcheck again
immediately after it finishes, it usually fails ("host down?"). When I wait
about a minute or so, and I run it again, it succeeds.

I have searched the archives, but I couldn't come up with a solution. Not
wanting to face the situation in which a vital backup fails, does anyone
have a explanation for this strange behavior?

Thanks,

Martijn