Amanda-Users

Re: Problems backing up large W2K drive

2003-07-25 10:50:40
Subject: Re: Problems backing up large W2K drive
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:48:57 -0400
On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 11:53:44PM +0200, Paul Bijnens wrote:

> When using multiple excludes only the last one is remembered, unless
> you specify the "append" keyword to exclude like:
>
>     exclude append "./pagefile.sys"
>
> But!!!  When using samba to backup a Windows share, the
> specification "GNUTAR" does in fact not use gnutar, but the built
> in tar in smbclient.  And that one does not allow more than one
> exclude statement.

Not quite accurate.

smbclient (smbtar) uses the X option to set a "mode" after which
subsequent arguments are excluded.

The problem is then to capture the smbclient command line, including
the exclude-file filename argument, and convert each line into
separate arguments.  This had been done by one poster in the past.
Essentially an smbclient wrapper.

Unfortunately, in my testing this can not be combined with the "r"
option of smbclient to allow wildcards.  Maybe others can figure
that one out too.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)