Amanda-Users

Re: Sg driver and tape changer.

2003-06-27 11:30:56
Subject: Re: Sg driver and tape changer.
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>, Russell Adams <RLAdams AT Kelsey-Seybold DOT com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:26:54 -0400
On Friday 27 June 2003 10:55, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 at 9:40am, Russell Adams wrote
>
>> I'm having repeated problems with my tape changer and the sg
>> device.
>>
>> I'm running a Dell Powervault 120T (DLT7000 w/ 7 tape changer) on
>> an adaptec (aic7xxx driver) card.
>>
>> Every time I load a tape using mtx, subsequent calls to mtx
>> report:
>>
>> cannot open SCSI device '/dev/sg0' - No such device or address
>>
>> /dev/sg0 still exists, but I can't seem to talk to the changer
>> anymore. I can talk to the drive itself however.
>
>Can you actually write to the drive?
>
>> The only fix I've found for this is to rmmod all the scsi drivers
>> (st,sr_mod,sg,aic7xxx) and then insmod them again.
>
>This sounds suspiciously like either bad hardware or a bad SCSI
> chain. Are you sure everything is terminated properly?  How's your
> cable length? Does it work on another machine or with a different
> SCSI card?  What color was the goat?

That driver has been undergoing some work from what I see in the
kernels ChangeLog (I don't use it myself, my card is an advansys,
bulletproof) and if he has the aic7xxx.old driver available, maybe he
should give that one a try.  My kernel is 2.4.21, and I don't recall
if both drivers are still available or not.  That would be my next
suggestion, that he move on up to a newer kernel, thereby getting the
latest code.

And since this is scsi we're talking about here, the goat must be pure
white and a virgin.  Not to mention that in a scsi setup, the last
device on the cable must be on the last plug on the cable.  A few
inches of open cable past the device will make nearly all bets
instant losers.  Then of course it doesn't matter what color the goat
was, the spell is broken... :)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: