Amanda-Users

Re: How do I force Amanda do the backup

2003-06-26 15:22:40
Subject: Re: How do I force Amanda do the backup
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:20:19 +0200
Lucio.yahoo wrote:
The last thing is that I dont wont Amanda to look at the label of tape,
if there is a tape in the drive it should do the backup no matter what -
How do I tell Amanda that??

amlabel -f DailySet1 anylabel

Put this in your crontab so that it gets executed just a few minutes before the amdump command.

That's a bad and dangerous idea.  If you leave a tape in that has
nothing to do with amanda backups (like a customers files, like your
special backup with your nobel prize project), it gets blindly
overwritten.  "That doesn't happen", is just in invitation for disaster.
(Why do you make backups anyway?)

Instead, specify "tapecycle 1" (or zero, I never tried that), and amanda will not complain if any *amanda* tape is in the drive. The actual
number of tapes in the cycle that you feed amanda is unimportant, as
long as it is larger than the tapecycle you specified in the config.