Amanda-Users

was [strange am-label issue] Issue Resolved

2003-06-26 07:19:01
Subject: was [strange am-label issue] Issue Resolved
From: "Tom Brown" <tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com>
To: "Tom Brown" <tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:17:22 +0100
> Hi,
>
> Trying to label a set of 6 tapes in a DDS4 autoloader. For some reason
after
> i load the first tape into the slot and try and do a amlabel the tape is
> unloaded and another one loaded into the slot instead. See below.
>
> Any idea why this might be?
>
> Tom
>
> $ mtx -f /dev/sg2 status
>   Storage Changer /dev/sg2:1 Drives, 6 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
> Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
>       Storage Element 1:Full
>       Storage Element 2:Full
>       Storage Element 3:Full
>       Storage Element 4:Full
>       Storage Element 5:Full
>       Storage Element 6:Full
>
> so i load tape 1
>
> $ mtx -f /dev/sg2 load 1
>
> and
>
> $ mtx -f /dev/sg2 status
>   Storage Changer /dev/sg2:1 Drives, 6 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
> Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 1 Loaded)
>       Storage Element 1:Empty
>       Storage Element 2:Full
>       Storage Element 3:Full
>       Storage Element 4:Full
>       Storage Element 5:Full
>       Storage Element 6:Full
>
> then i try and label it
>
> $ amlabel -f gt-log gt-log01
> labeling tape in slot 6 (/dev/nst0):
> rewinding, reading label gtlog06, tape is in another amanda configuration
> rewinding, writing label gt-log01, checking label, done.
>
> and now tape 6 is loaded
>
> $ mtx -f /dev/sg2 status
>   Storage Changer /dev/sg2:1 Drives, 6 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
> Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 6 Loaded)
>       Storage Element 1:Full
>       Storage Element 2:Full
>       Storage Element 3:Full
>       Storage Element 4:Full
>       Storage Element 5:Full
>       Storage Element 6:Empty
>
> thanks

This also appeared as an issue on a 10 tape LTO autoloader from NEC. The
only similarities between the machines was the fact that they both ran
RedHat6.2. When the test setup was upgraded to RedHat7.3 the problem went
away.

The issue was resolved by installing a newer version of sort on the
RedHat6.2 system compared to the one it was shipped with.

There is a part of the chg-zd-mtx code that collects the data from an "mtx
status" run.  The code is the function get_slot_list, lines 506-564. It
seems that the cerion of sort in RedHat6.2 was not sorting the list of
storage elements and this was causing the whole process to trip up.

Thanks to all on the list who offerred help - Seems i've finally go there
with my 3 systems and they are all happy.

thanks again

Tom