Amanda-Users

Re: /dev/sg4 no such device

2003-06-20 12:12:56
Subject: Re: /dev/sg4 no such device
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com, <RBauman AT HatterasNetworks DOT com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:10:25 -0400
On Friday 20 June 2003 11:23, Tom Brown wrote:

[snip]

>it happens on any device id - i think the error is in my kernel
> build though
>
>Tom

Which is why I asked if the kernel had been rebuilt with the 'scan all
luns' config option turned on.  RedHat ships with that version off
for reasons of quicker booting.  To use the amiga timeing of 1 second
for a device to respond, turning that on will cause a 7 second scsi
bus scan to turn into 63 seconds.  I don't think linux waits that
long for a response on a per device address basis, but it can still
slow the boot a bit.

However, if redhat could see the number of messages on this list
caused by this lack of a full buss scan, they might change their
attitude.  But I'm not holding my breath either <G>

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: