Amanda-Users

Re: LTO1 tapetype

2003-06-19 13:15:17
Subject: Re: LTO1 tapetype
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Tom Brown" <tom.brown AT goodtechnology DOT com>, "Joshua Baker-LePain" <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:13:35 -0400
On Thursday 19 June 2003 11:57, Tom Brown wrote:
>> ISTR you saying this is Linux?  If so, then 'mt compression 0'
>> should do it.  You can check the status by pointing 'tapeinfo'
>> (from the mtx distribution) at the generic device associated with
>> your tape drive.
>
>It is linux yes - will amanda use this command before writing to
> this device when amanda runs normally? How can one be sure that the
> hardware compression is permanently off?
>
>Tom

Many drives have an led tally on the front to indicate when the
comnpressor is active.

And no, amanda will not use it, and in fact cannot because once a lock
on the drive is obtained, its not released until done.  Turning it
off is best done via the dip switch or jumper settings programming of
the drive.

However, be aware that a tape written to with it on, will override the
drives settings until such time as a block 1 write is forced and
flushed to the media with the compression turned off.  And drives
even vary in that behaviour from production runto production run.  I
now have in service some tapes that were originally compressed, and a
slightly earlier version of the ctl-96 Seagate drive than the one I
started with, and even though the tape labels have been re-written
with compression off, the led is on *until* a real data write starts.
Those tapes didn't show that little foible until I had to replace the
drive with a near identical one.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: