Amanda-Users

Re: Force level 0 backup

2003-06-17 03:57:41
Subject: Re: Force level 0 backup
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: M J <jnzy AT hotmail DOT com>, AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:54:04 +0200
M J wrote:
So what would be the reason(s) that one would force a level 0 backup?

e.g.
- You just reorganised a lot of software on a disk, (or reinstalled)
and you want to avoid that an incremental level takes just as much as
a level 0.
- You reorganised the disklist, and what was one entry before (/usr
is now two (/usr and /usr/local); so we force a level 0 of /usr to
avoid amanda seeing a deletion of /usr/local (and make a restore
easier).  Or the other way around: two entries become one.
- You suspect a tape is bad and want to make sure that you got the
latest level 0 of that important disk on a fresh tape.  (If a tape
is really bad or lost, do an amrmtape instead.)
- You want to "amadmin xxx no-reuse sometape" to store offsite, and
want to make sure that certain disks are on that tape, e.g. for the
weekend run. (a different "archive" config with "dumpcycle 0" is
better for this case, but I've done it once).
- You prepare a software reorganisation on a computer and want to make
sure that, in the case of failure, the restore from tape is easy.