Amanda-Users

Re: Force level 0 backup

2003-06-16 03:40:31
Subject: Re: Force level 0 backup
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: M J <jnzy AT hotmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:38:10 +0200
M J wrote:
I'm kind of new to the amanda system, just took it over and I've been told that a level 0 backup needs to be done due to inconsistant tape changes or neglect?

I can't see how inconsistent tape changes result in a need to force
a level 0?  If the tape inserted is too early, amanda will not overwrite
the tape, and will dump in degraded mode on disk.  If you leave the tape
out, it will dump to disk too.  Amanda will try to catch up with the
imposed dumpcycle afterwards ofcourse, so the next tapes will be more
filled.
If you insert a tape too early, and amanda accepts it (because you
have more than tapecycle tapes in use -- I have), then the only thing
that happens is that the tapenumbers get out of sequence (easily solved
in this case: just repeat the same mistake, using the correct tape next
time).

Maybe they mean you need to flush the disk?  (see amflush).

How would I do this? what should I look for when doing this?

amadmin YourConfig force Host Disk