Amanda-Users

Re: OT?!: Newbie finally getting time to get tape drive working

2003-06-16 17:33:36
Subject: Re: OT?!: Newbie finally getting time to get tape drive working
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:30:20 -0400
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 03:27:53PM -0500, Bruntel, Mitchell L, SOLCM wrote:

> (Sun Sparc/Solaris)
> Exabyte tells me that I need to:
> a) do a probe-scsi all (with Tape off, and presumably no cable connected)

Did probe-scsi find the mammoth drive when it was powered on?
You set it for a known, unused SCSI ID right?
Were there any lun's at higher than lun0 for that SCSI ID?
If so, the lun0 is probably the drive, a higher number the changer.
The answer affects the st.conf file.

> b) connect drive/cable, power on
> c) boot, edit my /kernel/drv/st.conf file with some Mammouth-specific
> parameters
> d) do a boot -r (to rebuild drivers )

On Solaris 9, possibly 8, you might be able to do the same thing by using
a command, devfsadm, after booting.

> e) I should then see /dev/rmt rebuilt with many differnent files.

Did you see them?

> f) I should then be able to do a mt -f /dev/rmt/0 status to see if drive
> responds.
>
> no go.

Don't keep us in suspense, what did mt say.  Not just a prompt back.

> The doc says if I dont see output from status cmd, I should wipe the /dev/mnt
> directory, recheck the st.conf and redo a kernel rebuild.

And what happened?  If you removed the /dev/rmt/* entries and redid the steps,
anything in /dev/rmt?

If no, when you do a prtconf -D, do you see anything like:

   st, instance #5 (driver name: st)
   st, instance #7 (driver name: st)

Anything attached to driver "st"?

probe-scsi and prtconf should both report they see the drive.
If not then the problems are very low level, like cable, terminator, ...

> So:  I dont get this.  here are some interesting factoids:
> 1) the X80 has a LVD(low voltage differential) interface, as well as 3 LVD
> mammoth tapes in the changer.

Forget what I said about the lun's being changer, they could also be other
drives.
Or do they each get a separate scsi id?

> 2) the SUN (R420--sorry) has a symbiosis SCSI (Differential) card in slot
> PCI1.
>
> PS: Is there a reliable way to know how to identify different scsi cables?
> or perhaps a pointer to a good website...
>
> At any rate.
>
> Any and all suggestions would be appreciated,
>
> I realize this is technically off topic, since it's not even amanda related,
> but heck.   I didnt think it would make me get this FAR down...
>
> Cheers:
> Mitch Bruntel
>

> --contents of st.conf:
>  This file contains configuration entries for both officially supported
> # devices of Sun Microsystems and many 3rd party devices.
> #
> #
> #lots of pre-existing stuff deleted, but get no errors anymore...)
>
> tape-config-list= "EXABYTE Mammoth2", "Exabyte Mammoth2", "EXB-M2"; EXB-M2 =
> 1,0x36,0,0xde39,1,0x28,0;
>
> #MB- could it supposed to be ONE line?

Neither,
st.conf is organized in ?3? major areas.  The first is the

   tape-config-list="
      ...  ,
      ...  ,
      ...  ,
      ...  ;

Note the commas at the end of every line until the last line having a
semi-colon.
Your entry

        "EXABYTE Mammoth2", "Exabyte Mammoth2", "EXB-M2";

should be one line in this section.  If you put it in the middle, change your
semi-colon to a comma.  If you make it the last entry, leave the semi-colon
but change the current last entry to a comma.

Be very careful about spaces and capitalization in the double quoted strings.
They MUST be exact.  Even leading or trailing spaces.   "foo " is not "foo    ".

The second section is the "configuration string section".  These are entries
keyed to the last field of the above line "EXB-M2".  Many drives might share
a single configuration string.

This would be the second part of the entry you show above.

    EXB-M2 = 1,0x36,0,0xde39,1,0x28,0;

Caps are important in the key, spacing, as it is not in quotes, is not critical.

The third part is what scsi id's and luns the st driver will attach to.
Only those you need must be uncommented.  But it doesn't hurt to have
all uncommented except that it adds to boot time while each is probed
(Is there a tape drive out there on this ID/LUN? :)

This is what you show below.

> name="st" class="scsi"
>         target=0 lun=0;
>
> name="st" class="scsi"
>         target=1 lun=0;

If your box with 3 drives shows those drives as 3 scsi id's,
you only need lun0 entries.  If they are other luns but same
id, you need to add entries.  I think as supplied the file
only scans up to id 6.  For targets 8-15 you have to enter
them by hand or maybe uncomment the entries.

Did mammoth (exabyte?) say anything about setting up the sgen
driver to recognize the changer or does it use the st driver?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)