Amanda-Users

Re: Tape host server cannot find client on the same computer.

2003-06-16 16:41:42
Subject: Re: Tape host server cannot find client on the same computer.
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Harry Mbang <hmbang AT devassoc1 DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:30:27 -0500
--On Monday, June 16, 2003 16:09:52 -0400 Harry Mbang <hmbang AT devassoc1 DOT
com> wrote:

> Hi all, thanks for your suggestions.  I am at the point where I think
> the problem has shifted from being one of tape drive specification to
> communication between the Tape host server and the client.  When I run
> amcheck this is the part of the message I get:
>
> "WARNING: linux.local: selfcheck request timed out.  Host down? Client
> check: 1 host checked in 30.016 seconds, 1 problem found"

You'll be much beter off in the long run if you use a FQDN instead of
localhost (or its varients) in your disklist.  Does linux.local resolve
to an IP?

> The logs in /tmp/amanda give amcheck: debug 1 pid 1316 ruid 37 euid 0
> start time Mon Jun 16 04:51:42 2003
> amcheck: dgram_bind: socket bound to 0.0.0.0.626
> amcheck: pid 1316 finish time Mon Jun 16 04:52:12 2003
>
> Is the Amanda user supposed to have a uid below or above 500?  Mine has
> one below and was created when I installed Amanda, i.e. the Amanda user
> was not directly created by me.  Also in .amandahosts I have using root
> along with the hostname.  Has anybody got an idea of what could be
> wrong?  Thanks.

uid shouldn't matter as long as the user is in the right group to be able
to access the disk. And .amandahost should contain something like:
amandaserver.domain.nam     backupuser
There's a list of things to check in the FAQ-o-matic for selfcheck timed
out errors, try checking all of those and see what happens.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                             fsmith AT hoovers DOT
com