Amanda-Users

Re: excluding directories via samba

2003-06-13 12:54:53
Subject: Re: excluding directories via samba
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:13:12 -0400
On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:31:55AM -0400, Jeremy L. Mordkoff wrote:
> I am backing up one windows machine via samba.I would like to backup the
> entire machine except the /windows /temp and /program files trees. Is there a
> way to do this? I don't want to specify a bunch to dirs to get backed up
> because as soon as I do, someone will create a new directory off the root and
> put something important there :)
>
> I am considering having it run a windows backup to a file server and simply
> backing that up.

Fuzzy recollections, not certainties.

You probably could do it if your server allows smbmounts.  Then you would
have a "local" directory tree to backup with gnutar and could use the
exclude feature.

If instead you are using the "normal" samba backups with amanda, then
there has been a problem in translating gnutar's exclude semantics to
those used by smbclient/smbtar.  This problem resulted in only being
able to exclude a single directory or file from the client.

I don't know if that situation still exists today.  If it does, you
might want to do a search in the mailing list archives.  Someone, I
forget who, posted a workaround that allowed multiple exclusions.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)