Amanda-Users

Re: Q: Backing up Netware3 via ncpfs?

2003-06-12 12:15:50
Subject: Re: Q: Backing up Netware3 via ncpfs?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:12:27 -0400
On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 11:45:24AM +0100, Dave Ewart wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Recently added a couple of netware servers to our Amanda backup regime -
> I used ncpmount to give the servers mount points and added the mount
> points to the disklist.
>
> The files backed up successfully on their first night, as a 'level 0'
> full backup; however, I notice today that the next night's 'level 1'
> backup actually appears to have backed up all files again, despite the
> fact that very few files will have changed.
>
> The servers are Netware 3 servers, and have been mounted read-only
> using:
>
> ncpmount -S server -U username -f 444 -d 555 /mount/point/blah
>
> I can't find anything helpful in the archives about backing up Netware
> servers in this way.

Conceptual guesswork as I know nothing about Netware.

Unix, in the inode allocated to each file, keeps three time stamps,
collectively known as "mac"time stamps as they are "data Modification",
"data Access", and "inode Change" times.

Not all OS's keep these same 3 time stamps, yet to make nfs mounts work
(I presume ncpmount is really doing an underlying nfs mount or something
similar)
the mactimes have to mimiced for use within a unix system.

I can see a maping of "ctime" for example just tracking "mtime", or maybe
registering the date and time of the ncpmount command or ???  Anything that
might throw tar off when it goes and looks "has any change occured".

Just a thought with no facts.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)