Amanda-Users

Re: amverify

2003-06-09 11:02:07
Subject: Re: amverify
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 10:59:53 -0400
On Monday 09 June 2003 08:30, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Monday 09 June 2003 07:51, Toomas Aas wrote:
>>Hello!
>>
>>> Anyone use amverify?
>>
>>I guess everyone in their right mind does so :-)
>
>That depends on how quickly you want to wear the tape system out
> since doing it everytime doubles the passes on both the tpae and
> the drive.
>
>>> When I use it amrestore complains that its not at the head of the
>>> tape so filemarks maybe offset.
>>
>>Excuse the really weird-seeming question, but what tape device are
>> you using and what is the tape block size set to? I'm running
>> Amanda on FreeBSD 4.7 using IBM DDS-4 drive and I had the same
>> error as long as the tape blocksize was set to 1k. When I set it
>> to variable, amverify started to work correctly.
>
>This is also something that I've observed, but I now have in place a
>script that converts each tape as it comes around in the rotation to
>no compression and variable blocksize, eg 0.
>
>So I'm running amverify on last nights tape just for grins.  And
>there's no errors being reported in the shell window after about 5
>minutes of reading.  This is a pleasant change.
>
>I'm curious if it will squawk about the 2 extra, non-amanda files on
>the end of the tape.  I've made my tapetype a hundred megs smaller,
>and I'm adding 2 tar files, one of the indices generated while
>makeing this tape, and one of the configs dir in effect at the time
>*this* tape was made.  I guess I'm paranoid.
>
>Another effect I'm detecting, right at the edge of being
> un-noticable, seems to indicate that switching from a 512 byte
> block size to variable, seems to have sped it up slightly,
> (runtimes used to be about 3.5 hours now seem to be around 3 flat)
> and maybe even made the tape hold a few more megs, but this is
> subjective, I'm creeping back up on the tapetype size by 25 megs a
> day till I hit an EOT again. From the tell report the last time
> that occured, it actually went a few megs past the 4 gig mark, with
> the 4 gigs stated in decimal.
>
>20 minutes reading now, no errors.  I take it thats a Good
> Thing(tm).

Well, in addition to talking to myself, I find it a bit odd that while
it did not find any errors, it also did not notice the 2 extra files
on the tape.

Should it have?

I'm going to see if I can do an 'mt fsf 44' and then read then as this
gets odder by the minute.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: