Amanda-Users

Few questions.

2003-06-02 11:12:56
Subject: Few questions.
From: Brendon Colby <bren AT midco DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:13:49 -0500
Greetings,

I just have a couple of questions that I couldn't get fully answered from the
archives.

1. If I have a 16 tape tapecycle, and a dumpcycle of 7, does this mean I
effectively have 16 days of backups? As in, I can do a restore of up to 16
days? (I'm just trying to wrap my head around this new-to-me backup method.)

2. If I disable hardware compression and use software compression, how would
that affect my tapetype definition?

define tapetype DLT8000 {
    comment "Quantaum (IBM) DLT-8000"
    length 37482 mbytes
    filemark 2362 kbytes
    speed 5482 kps
}

(I got that off the list.)

3. Does anyone running Debian Woody use xfsdump? I'm having trouble getting
that to work without having to recompile (not ideal) so I'm testing with tar
right now. (I get the "disk not available?" error when I softlink /sbin/dump
to /sbin/xfsdump.) Wouldn't native dump be the ideal method?

Thanks.

--
Brendon Colby
Systems Administrator