Amanda-Users

UPDATE: connection timeout

2003-06-02 10:26:23
Subject: UPDATE: connection timeout
From: "Rebecca Pakish Crum" <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:21:13 -0500

After pressing the hardware issue with some people with more say-so, we started evaluating the hardware on the network getting the client timeout. We never got to the client itself…we never got past the firewall. Not because of bad rules or bad routing….but because of:

     896810035 packets input, 4090731415 bytes
     Received 13577 broadcasts, 339279460 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles
     339279460 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored

Yeah, that's right 330 million errors…and it's not the ethernet cable or the switch port…it's on the 4 port NIC in the firewall. That particular subnet is feeding off of a bad NIC in the 4 port.

I can't say for sure that this is what caused my amanda failures yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion that after I rectify the NIC problem, my amanda problems will go away, too.

Rebecca A. Crum
Systems Administrator
Unterberg & Associates, P.C.
(219) 736-5579 ext. 184