Amanda-Users

Re: client was working, now suddenly is getting self check "host down?" errors

2003-06-02 04:56:10
Subject: Re: client was working, now suddenly is getting self check "host down?" errors
From: Dave Ewart <Dave.Ewart AT cancer.org DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:51:04 +0100
On Friday, 30.05.2003 at 15:04 -0400, Ron Bauman wrote:

> > Any ideas of why a client would work for a while then randomly not
> > be able to do a selfchecK? The other amanda client is still working
> > great...
>
> I have a random problem like this as well running RH Linux.  The
> client occasionally fails amcheck in the afternoon. (Backups run at
> nite.)  When I look at portland, the client, I find the selfcheck task
> "stuck" and I am unable to kill it, even with kill -9.  See if you
> have the same problem.  On the client, try
>
> ps -ef | grep amand
>
> or grep with whatever your amanda user account is.
>
> If you see selfcheck running, you'll be unable to get amcheck on the
> server to finish until it's gone.  Just something to check.

Interesting to see this problem reported - I've had this happen
sporadically too.  The 'host down' error relates to the localhost and it
leaves 'selfcheck' and 'amandad' running in the background.  The server
is RH Linux 7.3, running AMANDA 2.4.2p2.

However, killing those processes does not make everything better.  The
problem seems unrelated to the AMANDA configuration.  The last time it
happened here, we were fortunate enough to have a 'maintenance window'
and rebooted the server and after that amcheck ran without complaint.
However, given that this is a production server, rebooting is not a good
solution.

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart