Amanda-Users

Re: Stupid bogus tape EOF tricks

2003-04-24 18:16:26
Subject: Re: Stupid bogus tape EOF tricks
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:12:10 -0400
On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 04:06:16PM -0500, C. Chan wrote:

> I experimented with different ibs= settings and spacing forward a
> number of records but without any better result.

Including bs=1 ?

> Are there any standard tools better tools than dd for extracting
> the data record by record from a tape?

Don't know your OS.

On Solaris there is a command, tcopy (tapecopy) intended for making,
duh, copies of tapes.

I've only used it for analysis.  If given only a source tape it reports
each file something like:

   file 4:
   2083 records of 32K
   1 record of 18321 bytes
   EOF

and continues on to the end of the tape.

If given a destination also, which could be a disk file, it will copy the
tape to that destination.  Perhaps you could fsf to the beginning of the
12GB tape file and let it copy until at least 2 eof's or first eof after
12GB and then interupt it to avoid getting the entire tape.  Once on disk
a binary editor might be able to determine/fix the corruption.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)