Amanda-Users

amrecover, ruserok and rhosts authentication

2003-04-23 18:29:12
Subject: amrecover, ruserok and rhosts authentication
From: DK Smith <dks AT MediaWeb DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:06:31 -0700

I have a couple of basic questions related to this transcript of. Essentially, my biggest question is how to use rhosts authentication (in the scenario below) and ruserok not fail.

# /usr/local/amanda/sbin/amrecover -s tapeserver
AMRECOVER Version 2.4.4. Contacting server on tapeserver ...
220 tapeserver AMANDA index server (2.4.2p2) ready.
500 Access not allowed: [access as amanda not allowed from root@client] ruserok failed

Things I have not been able to determine:

1. rhosts auth is used in this setup. I saw the comments for debugging a similar situation when using amandahosts. The stated solution was to the following entry into amandahosts.
   localhost    root
   my.server    root

Is something similar done for rhosts authentication?

2. Why does the version number 2p2 show on this index server?

####

Thanks for the extra eyes...

PS: If someone wants to suggest a better way (i.e. using amandahosts, or maybe some combination of tcpwrappers and rhosts or something... I am all ears... However I would like to learn what is required on Unix to make this particular rhosts auth operate.

Cheers,
DK