Amanda-Users

Re: different configs

2003-04-21 12:57:12
Subject: Re: different configs
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:26:42 -0400
On Mon, Apr 21, 2003 at 01:44:19PM +0300, Laas Toom wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I got to thinking that nevertheless i know some things about amanda, i
> still do not know, how are different configs related to each other.
>
> I mean that if i have a config that runs (via crontab) every day
> doing backups to 14 tapes in rotation.
> And a config that runs 4 times a year doing full backups of the
> site to 2 tapes going to be archived (replaced by new tapes).
>
> will amanda discuss both indexes in order to recover a lost file or do i
> have to look them up myself (based on the date of file i want to recover)

Think of them as two, totally independent systems backing up the same data.
One exception below.

Of course the one system only has data from the last two weeks so it totally
useless for getting something from January 1.  The second system is useless
for getting yesterday's files except on 4 days a year.

One place you have to be careful is in the "record" parameter.
For the archive system you probably should have record set to "no".
Then, the level 0 done for archival purposes will not influence the
daily backups.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)