Amanda-Users

Re: Restoring samba shares

2003-04-19 20:46:12
Subject: Re: Restoring samba shares
From: Galen Johnson <galen AT trantor DOT org>
To: Alex Thurlow <alex.thurlow AT skylist DOT net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 18:56:34 -0400
Alex Thurlow wrote:

I finally got amanda to say it backed up my windows machines over samba, so now I'm trying to restore to make sure it's happening right. When I try to use amrecover, it tells me there's no index. I checked, and sure enough, there isn't.

This is the strange error from the backup report:
/-- backup.dom //lyris1/SQL_backup lev 0 STRANGE
sendbackup: start [backup.mydomain.net://lyris1/SQL_backup level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/bin/smbclient
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/smbclient -f... -
sendbackup: info end
? tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory ? tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory ? tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory ? File size change - truncating \lyris1_listmanager1.bak to 231756288 bytes
| tar: dumped 1 files and directories
| Total bytes written: 231756800
sendbackup: size 226325
sendbackup: end
\--------

I haven't figured out the "/var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory" error yet, but it does say it backed up the data. Here's the relevant info from my disklist and amanda.conf

backup.mydomain.net      //lyris1/SQL_backup  nocomp-user-gnutar

define dumptype nocomp-user-gnutar {
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "user partitions dumped with tar and no compression"
    options no-compress
    priority medium
}

Has anyone dealt with this before? If not, does anyone know of a good reference guide for pulling backups directly off of the tape?

Thanks,
Alex Thurlow

You don't have 'index yes' in that definition. So therefore it isn't doing indexing for any of your samba backups.

=G=