Amanda-Users

Restoring samba shares

2003-04-19 18:21:07
Subject: Restoring samba shares
From: Alex Thurlow <alex.thurlow AT skylist DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:35:28 -0500
I finally got amanda to say it backed up my windows machines over samba, so now I'm trying to restore to make sure it's happening right. When I try to use amrecover, it tells me there's no index. I checked, and sure enough, there isn't.

This is the strange error from the backup report:
/-- backup.dom //lyris1/SQL_backup lev 0 STRANGE
sendbackup: start [backup.mydomain.net://lyris1/SQL_backup level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/usr/bin/smbclient
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/smbclient -f... -
sendbackup: info end
? tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory ? tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory ? tdb((null)): tdb_open_ex: could not open file /var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory
? File size change - truncating \lyris1_listmanager1.bak to 231756288 bytes
| tar: dumped 1 files and directories
| Total bytes written: 231756800
sendbackup: size 226325
sendbackup: end
\--------

I haven't figured out the "/var/cache/samba/unexpected.tdb: No such file or directory" error yet, but it does say it backed up the data. Here's the relevant info from my disklist and amanda.conf

backup.mydomain.net      //lyris1/SQL_backup  nocomp-user-gnutar

define dumptype nocomp-user-gnutar {
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "user partitions dumped with tar and no compression"
    options no-compress
    priority medium
}

Has anyone dealt with this before? If not, does anyone know of a good reference guide for pulling backups directly off of the tape?

Thanks,
Alex Thurlow