Amanda-Users

Re: Level 1 backups when in degraded mode with Level 0 Only config

2003-04-18 22:20:11
Subject: Re: Level 1 backups when in degraded mode with Level 0 Only config
From: Jay Lessert <jayl AT accelerant DOT net>
To: "Stephen D. Lane" <drsteve AT nature.berkeley DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:50:18 -0700
[Posted and Cc'ed]

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 04:08:42PM -0700, Stephen D. Lane wrote:
[clip]
> Sony SDX-500c AIT-II drive (50GB native tapes), with a 50 GB+ holding
> disk (or 51 GB-, depending on how you look at it:  use -300 MB), all of
> which works fine (amverify is happy & I've successfully done actual
> restores :), when the right tape is in the drive <:/
>
> When the wrong tape is in the drive, amanda does a degraded mode level 1
> backup to the holding disk.  Why?  Specifically: why doesn't she do a
> level 0 to the holding disk, since she knows it's big enough?
[clip]
> # reserve 30 # percent [default = 100%]

I believe the "reserve" comment is correct.  You are currently
reserving 100% of holdingdisk to:

    "not be used for full backups if no tape is available."

See amanda(8).  In other words you are reserving 0% of your holding
disk for the purpose you desire.  So you want "reserve 20" or "reserve 0".

The idea of the reserve default value is that if you screw up and go on
holiday for a week with no tapes loaded, it'll just sit there and do
incrementals all week...

--
Jay Lessert                               jay_lessert AT accelerant DOT net
Accelerant Networks Inc.                       (voice)1.503.439.3461