Amanda-Users

Level 1 backups when in degraded mode with Level 0 Only config

2003-04-18 21:25:18
Subject: Level 1 backups when in degraded mode with Level 0 Only config
From: "Stephen D. Lane" <drsteve AT nature.Berkeley DOT EDU>
To: amanda-users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:08:42 -0700
Greetings.  We are using amanda 2.4.2p2 (I know - it's old, but it
works fine - we'll upgrade at some point :), server & 3 clients (RH 7.2
server & client, RH 7.3 client, IRIX 6.5.19m client), doing 5x/week
level 0 only backups (compress none, dumpcycle 0, ~35GB total), to a
Sony SDX-500c AIT-II drive (50GB native tapes), with a 50 GB+ holding
disk (or 51 GB-, depending on how you look at it:  use -300 MB), all of
which works fine (amverify is happy & I've successfully done actual
restores :), when the right tape is in the drive <:/

When the wrong tape is in the drive, amanda does a degraded mode level 1
backup to the holding disk.  Why?  Specifically: why doesn't she do a
level 0 to the holding disk, since she knows it's big enough?

Some more config info:

---BEGIN config info---
define dumptype always-full {
    global
    comment "Full dump of this filesystem always"
    compress none
    priority high
    index yes
    dumpcycle 0
}

dumpcycle 0 days        # the number of days in the normal dump cycle -
                        # 0 = full every day
# runspercycle 5        # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days -
                        # default = same as dumpcycle
tapecycle 5 tape        # the number of tapes in rotation

bumpsize 20 Mb          # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays 1              # minimum days at each level
bumpmult 4              # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)

runtapes 1      # num tapes to be used in a single run of amdump

# reserve 30 # percent [default = 100%]
---END config info---

Any thoughts/insights would be appreciated.  I am happy to provide more
config and/or log details as requested.

Thanks in advance,
(Please reply to the list)

--Steve Lane               /"\
  Doudna Lab               \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
  U. C. Berkeley            X     Against HTML Email
                           / \