Amanda-Users

Problems with tapecycle (tape's Amanda expects to use)

2003-04-15 11:44:59
Subject: Problems with tapecycle (tape's Amanda expects to use)
From: Reidar Nordin <reidar AT tedk DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:51:28 +0200
Hi!
Amanda is not asking for the tapes in the same order I labeled the
tapes, it seems that Amanda is using tapes randomly... Anyone have a
clue???

I have installed amanda-2.4.4 on a RedHat server, it is working fine and
is now backing up several other clients.
I configured (at least I thought so) amanda to use a total of 20 tapes,
dumpcykle of 4 weeks and 20 runs per cycle.  I wanted to run tape
(backup) every weekday (Mon-Fri). My problem is that Amanda does not ask
for tapes in the way I labeled them!!

The way I labeled the tapes:
week 1 I labeled the tapes "backup01" backup02 etc....
week 2 I labeled the tapes "backup11", "backup12", etc...
week 3 I labeled the tapes "backup21", "backup 22", etc...
week 4 I labeled the tapes "backup31", "backup 32", etc...

In the first 4 weeks (the first dumpcycle) everyting worked fine!, but
in the second dumpcyle (the second day) Amanda suddenly asked for tape
"backup11" instead on tape "backup02". I switched the tapes, and used
the tape amanda asked for, (dump went ok), and after that Amanda asked
for "backup06". Amanda is not asking for the tapes the way I labeled the
tapes, it seems that Amanda is asking for tapes randomly.

Does anyone know what I've done wrong?????

Parts from amanda.conf:

**********
dumpcycle 4 weeks       # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 20            # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days

                                    # (4 weeks * 5 amdump runs per week
-- just weekdays)
tapecycle 20 tapes        # the number of tapes in rotation
                                    # 4 weeks (dumpcycle) times 5 tapes
per week (just
                                    # the weekdays) plus a few to handle
errors that
                                    # need amflush and so we do not
overwrite the full
                                    # backups performed at the beginning
of the previous
                                    # cycle

labelstr "^backup[0-9][0-9]*$"  # label constraint regex: all tapes must
match

\\Reidar